The Middleton Cemetery Association has announced the opening of the new entrance to the Middleton Junction Cemetery. It is named Middleton Junction Cemetery from the olden days, even though today the cemetery is in the city limits of Madison, Wisconsin. The new entrance replaces the four former entrances on Mineral Point Road. These entrances were closed after the reconstruction of the intersection of Mineral Point Road and Junction Road. The new entrance is just west of the west side Target Store.
Since 2015, many improvements have been made to the cemetery. Roads have been repaved, many older trees have been trimmed back, a new roof and gutters have been added to the old well house as well as a new door. A new aluminum weather proof display case has been hung on the side of the well house displaying the names of all lot owners, and a display map, now computerized, showing the entire cemetery with directions to find graves. The old display case will be removed.
The area known as "Middleton Junction" was also called "East Middleton", and was the first site of what is now the City of Middleton. In the 1900's lead was hauled by teams from Mineral Point to Milwaukee on what was then called Military Road or Stagecoach Road. When the train came through headed toward Madison the center of Middleton shifted to its current location. Originally, a Methodist church stood at the N.E. corner of the cemetery but was torn down many years ago, and the wood reused by an area farmer. Historically, the cemetery has always been open to all races and creeds.
Many early settlers to the Middleton area are buried at the cemetery. The earliest tombstone is dated 1850. The historical marker at the cemetery notes the graves of the great-grandparents of Wisconsin writer Zona Gale; Soloman Freeman, a freed slave, active in civic duties, who was beloved by the Middleton community; three generations of the doctors Rowley and their ancestors who cared for and supported the Middleton community. The history also includes the stories of many others including that of two brothers who went west seeking their fortune and were hanged for cattle rustling or horse thieving, and were returned to their loved ones in Middleton for burial. More information about burials at the cemetery can be found at www.findagrave.com where more than 800 graves are listed.
Board Members include Richard C. Bakken, Fred Kempfer, Rodney K. Waldmann, Nancy and Don VanAman, Richard LaBrie, James Dahlk, and James Ullom.
Are you looking for a small traditional cemetery? Junction Cemetery on the west edge of Madison is a century old, non-profit, non-denominational quiet resting place.
A new entrance has been developed on Isaac Drive opposite the entrance to the west side Target.
Beautifully maintained, providing perpetual care, attractive sites offered at an affordable rate. Call and ask for Jim at 608 203-6729